Document Translation

Translation of International Adoption Documents

July 17, 2013

Old looking document with hand written script

International adoptions can require dozens of official documents–from birth certificates and police clearances to the Foreign Adoption Decree. Get your international adoption papers translated conveniently and fast. Here’s how.

First, be patient. Adoption documents can be confusing to work with. Don’t get overwhelmed by the great number of international adoption papers that you may have to translate. Remember that the adoption documents are designed to protect the child and parents, not just the adoption agency.

In the United States, officers at the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) review adoption documents to make sure there is no negligence or abuse of human rights during the adoption process. Safety is of the utmost importance when placing a child in the care of others.

Adoption Documents That Must Be Translated In The U.S.

Some international adoption documents always require translation. This varies by country. Frequently among the international adoption papers to translate are:

  •  Letter of intent to adopt

  •  Parents’ letter of commitment to the child’s birth country’s  adoption laws

  •  Home study report or the certificate of completion

  •  Letter of recommendation from the home study agency

  •  Certificate of approval from the international adoption agency

  •  Marriage certificate of the prospective parents

  •  Birth certificates of the prospective parents

  •  License from the international adoption agency

  •  Passport identification pages for each prospective parent

  •  Guardianship affidavit — for single prospective parents only

  •  Divorce decrees of the prospective parents, if applicable

  •  FBI background checks for each prospective parent

  •  Medical examination reports for each prospective parent

  •  Letters verifying prospective parents’ employment or income  sources

  •  Financial statements or affidavits

  •  Letter of good standing from the bank

  •  Proof of home ownership or a lease with a note from the landlord

  •  USCIS approval notices

With such a long list of documents it’s impossible to provide translation services within 24 hours. However, Interpreters and Translators does provide 24 hour service when you have a small number of documents to translate.

Translation of International Adoption Papers Required Often

 It’s hard to exaggeration how critical it is to have your international adoption documents professionaly translated.  Adoption papers are legal documents–records that prove the adoption is valid. Adopted children frequently need their international adoption papers as they travel through life — not only for immigration and citizenship purposes, but also for permits, licenses and other identification needs.

If the adopted child will be applying for a driver’s license (or other type of license) you may need to translate international adoption papers. Or if the adopted child or child’s parents apply for health or other benefits, certified and notarized adoption documents may be required.  Translated international adoption documents can also help when:

  •  Enrolling  in school, university or college

  •  Applying for a driver’s license or other type of permit or license

  •  Applying for a passport

  •  Obtaining a marriage license

  •  Applying for Social Security benefits in the United States

When the adopting parents claim expenses on their U.S. federal tax return items like receipts must be translated into English. And to claim the adoption credit for a child from a country covered by the Hague Convention, copies of one or more of these documents should be attached to the tax return:

  •  The Hague Adoption Certificate (Immigrating Child)

    •  The IH-3 visa

    •  A foreign adoption decree translated into English

Translating International Adoption Documents Are Inexpensive And Easy To Obtain 

 iTi has made it more convenient than ever to have international adoption documents translated. Just go to the Certified Personal Document Translation page on our website.  One click brings you to our Translation Order Form.

Our step by step automated online system is simple to follow and take little time.  Within 24 hours you’ll have a high quality translation of your international adoption documents sent to you via e-mail. You’ll also receive:

  • Two hard copies (print) of your certified translated adoption documents

  • Two hand-signed certified and notarized paper copies mailed to you by the end of the next business day

We guarantee that your translated international adoption documents will meet any US government agency’s standards.

Order Your Translated Adoption Documents Via Smart Phone Or Tablet

You can order from anywhere. Order your translated international adoption documents through your smart phone, tablet or other handheld electronic device. That’s convenience! You don’t need to wait until you return to your office. Just take a picture of your adoption documents and upload the picture to us. And it’s affordable. Your translated adoption papers or any other 1-2 page document cost $100. Add $50 for each extra page.

We Translate Many Short Documents Within 24 Hours

Here’s partial list of some of the important legal and other documents iTi can quickly translate for you:

  •  Foreign birth certificates

  •  Marriage certificates

  •  Death certificates

  •  Divorce decrees

  •  School transcripts

  •  Medical records

  •  Diplomas

  •  Passports

The law required many international adoption documents to be translated. Try to gather everything you need at once so you can have every translated document available to you at the same time. If you have questions call us at 860-362-0812.

You Might Also Like


  • Reply James Norton July 1, 2020 at 9:43 am

    This is good info about translating international adoption documents. Thanks for sharing this article with us.

    • Reply Carl Carchia July 6, 2020 at 12:57 pm

      You’re welcome, James. Thanks for reading.

    Leave a Reply